Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Waist Training: Week 1

Have you ever heard of waist training? Until recently, I hadn't. I actually first heard about it by stumbling across a Youtube video on waist training. It peaked my interest because my tummy has always been my problem area (like many women). However, I am lucky enough to be a natural hour glass but I am always on the hunt for a smaller waist and flatter abs. It's sorta an obsession of mine (like Pinterest...haha). After watching this video, which I have linked above, I decided to do some of my own research on the subject...and then I decided to give it a try.

So this is what I know about waist training. In a nut shell, it is the process of wearing a tightly laced corset on one's waist (as if you can wear it somewhere else) in an effort to modify/reduce the width of the waist. People that engage in the practice of corset training are called "tightlacers". Tightlacers wear their corsets at least 12 hours a day with some wearing them for 23 hours a day, only removing it to shower and possibly exercise (no way you can exercise in a corset). The idea is that over time the corset will help reduce the circumference of your waist. Initially these effects are temporary because as soon as you take the corset off, you kinda go back to normal but over time, the effects become permanent. The corset will eventually modify your bone structure. Your will ribs will be raised and somewhat compressed and your waist will get smaller.  Ok, so this part is getting too scientific for me to explain. There are tons of websites on the subject and I will list a few at the end of this post, in case you are interested in learning more.

For some people, the thought to wearing a tightly laced corset may seem unappealing and I understand that. However, I usually wear a tight Vedette bodyshaper/suit everyday and the idea of moving to a corset did not seem foreign to me.  However, these two items of clothing do not really do the same thing. The bodysuit/shaper has like 3 layers of compression which basically holds my remaining tummy in by pressing on the outside skin. The bodyshaper is designed to help you lose inches, if worn everyday, by making the body lose any retained water and also causing the body to sweat and burn the fat layer under your skin. I have been doing this consistently for over 2 years (even in the summer) and so I am no stranger to the idea of a restrictive garment. It actually isn't that bad once you get used to it. Initially the body shapers are very difficult to get into because they are super tight but once you work your way into it, your body looks amazing and your tummy, love handles and back are instantly smoothed out. Also, if you consistently wear the shaper, it gets easier to get it on and off. After a few days, you will be able to pull it on and off in minutes, seconds even.  I love this shaper and the best part is that it is completely invisible underneath clothing (most clothing). There are some exceptions. You may be able to see the shaper, if you have on a top that is strapless or very low cut in the back. Otherwise, I think that the shaper will hide nicely under almost anything.


Love this Vedette Shaper!

I am not kidding. I really would not step out of the house without wearing this shaper. It makes pretty much every item of clothing look better. If you considering purchasing this shaper or something similar, I would suggest getting 2 of them because you are going to sweat and if you wear the same one every day you may get a little stinky (learned this the hard way...hahahaha....j/k). Anyway, this thing is great because it helps correct your posture, lifts your breasts and of course, slims your waist. As you can see from the picture above, this shaper comes under your bra and so you can wear your own bra. There are shapers that have built in bra areas also but I prefer the ones that are under the bust. Also the straps shown on the models shoulders are the straps of the shaper and not the bra strap. I think she may have a strapless bra on. My last comment about this shaper is that you need to buy the correct size. Do not size it down because you want to be smaller. If you do, it will be too uncomfortable to wear and may even be painful. Instead buy the appropriate size and as you lose weight and the shaper isn't really compressing you anymore, you should buy a smaller size.


On to the topic at hand, which if you have forgotten is waist training. Waist Training is completely different than wearing a body shaper. The corset that you wear when doing waist training should be heavy duty and made of a strong cotton material and contain steel "bones". These bones are going to do the work. I am sure that you have seen a corset before but I have included a picture of a training corset. A training corset is not a cutesy lingerie corset or a dressy corset. A true training corset is made to wear under your clothing. However, I think that it is still pretty sexy. Also, this doesn't mean that you cannot wear the cutesy corsets, while you are waist training. There are very nice corset that contain the same type of steel bones and can be worn over clothing (you could also just wear your training corset over your clothing but it doesn't have any designs or lace on it. The training corsets that I own are from Meschantes.  This company makes all types of training corsets and even makes a training corset with a front busk (as shown below). I do not own a corset with a front busk but I hear that they make it easier to put on and remove the corset, which may make sense after I explain how I put the corset on and take it off. The front busk is a the row of metal hook and eye looking thingys on the front of the corset. In the picture below, the front busk is made from steel so it is super strong but like I said, I don't own one with the front busk (well, I do...but that is a naughty corset not a training corset...hehe)


When buying a training corset, make sure that it has steel bones. It should have at least 27 steel bones. If the corset does not have steel bones then it will not be strong enough for waist training and will probably break under the constant pressure of tightening the corset. Also, do not use a corset with a zipper for waist training. It may seem like a zipper will be make it easy to take on and off (and it probably will) but zippers aren't made to withstand the pressure that is put on a corset during waist training. If you are going to attempt waist training, you will have to invest in a true training corset...at least one. Otherwise, you will probably spend more money replacing the cheaper versions and you possibly will not get the same results. Be prepared to spend over $100 on a good training corset. Also, I should point out that the corsets that I am referring to are cut under the breasts (like the body shaper that I like to wear). You will need to wear your own bra with these. These corsets also do not have any straps, so they are suitable for strapless clothing and possibly low back clothing (depending on how low the back is cut).  There are corsets that go over the breasts (overbust) and even some that have straps. I do not wear these and I am not either recommending or condemning them. They may work just as well but I do not know.


Now, how to actually put on and remove a training corset. Ok, well when you receive the corset (and I am only referring to the Meschantes corsets because these are the only training corsets that I own but I assume that others are the same), the corset will be pre-laced, like a shoe, but the laces will not be pulled tightly also like an empty shoe. There may already be a light hour glass type curve in the corset (there was in mine). Before putting on the corset, make sure you put on a camisole or a corset liner. I will explain why in a moment. Next, without untying the corset, pull the corset on over your head. It is easier to put one arm in and then put the second arm in or you can pull it over both arms at the same time and shimmy into the corset. Once you have the corset pulled down over your midsection, make sure that is lined up correctly. Also, and I should have mentioned this previously, make sure that you do not pull the corset on upside down. You can tell the difference between the bottom and top of the corset because the bottom is almost V shaped. There is a slight point in the middle. The top of the corset is almost shaped like a W because it goes underneath your breasts. This will make sense once you actually have the corset. You can also look at the pictures above for more clarification on the shape of the top and bottom. Once you have the corset lined up and on correctly, make sure that you have the corset positioned high enough on your chest. The top of the corset should come right underneath your bra. I used to do this wrong and pull the corset down further on my hips but 1) that is incorrect placement and 2) once I tightened the corset, I would get a little lip of skin (or fact) that would poke out between the bra and the corset and this is definitely hard to hide underneath your clothing...haha. Look at the pictures above of the girls, their corset comes directly underneath their bras (no fat lip). This definitely helps to smooth out your front.


Now we can begin tightening the process. If you look at the picture directly above, there are little metal rings with the laces coming out of them. These metal rings are called grommets, just like on shoes. The laces goes back and forth across the back of the corset, just like on shoes. However, not like shoes, there is a place in the middle of the of the back of the corset where the lace goes vertical (up and down) from one grommet to the next. It kinda makes a loop and there should be one on each side of the corset. This is where we want to start. Pull these loops and this will tighten the middle of your corset. The tighter you pull them, the more you will reduce the middle of your corset (the part that is around you natural waist).  You will be left with two long laces/loops similar to the picture below. Also, there may be a back panel of fabric that comes under the laces. As you tighten the corset this panel will bunch. Try to straighten this panel out as you tighten. It is a bit of a process but if you do not straighten it, you corset will not lay flat in the back and it may irritate your skin because you have this bunched fabric tightly laced to you.


As you can now see, there are 4 grommets at work here. Two on the right and two on the left. Now, imagine that the back of the corset is separated into 2 halves, a top half and a bottom half with your waist being the dividing point. Pull the lace that is coming out of the lower set of grommets on each side. You will need to pull thees laces in an upward motion. This will tighten the bottom half of the corset. You may want to tighten a little more, so try to strategically (or randomly) pull various individual laces in the bottom half of the corset. This will further tighten the lower part of the corset. If necessary, pull down on the laces coming from the lower grommets again because this will tighten the laces that you just pulled. Now, let's work on the top half of the corset, first pull the two laces that are coming from the top grommets in the large loops (on both side of the corset).  You will need to pull laces in a downward motion. This will tighten the top half of the corset. To further tighten, pull the individual laces in the top half of the corset and you may need to pull down again on the laces coming from the top grommets of the big loops. Continue this process until you have finished tightening the corset. (If you need a video of this process, the Youtube video linked above gives a great visual explanation of the lacing process.) Also, this style of lacing your corset is called "bunny ears lacing" or "rabbit ears lacing". The training corsets from Meschantes come laced in this fashion. Rabbit ear lacing is the easiest way to self-lace or self-tighten your corset, meaning that you can put your corset on and off without the help of another person. If your corset is not pre-laced in rabbit ears or if you remove that bottom not (that I said not to remove) then see this Youtube video about how to lace your corset bunny ears style (then are many youtube videos on this topic).



So, you may be wondering, how tight you need to pull these laces. Well that depends on you. If you are a beginner (like me) do not pull it super tight. You want to make it tight but not so tight that you are in pain. Also, remember that you will be wearing this corset all day (true tightlacers wear their corset 23 hours a day). It needs to be tight and you will be stiff but you should be able to move. It will be difficult to bend over and side to side but you should not look like a robot when you move. As you waist shrinks, you will be able to lace the corset tighter and tighter. Eventually, you will need to buy a new, smaller corset. This brings us to the difference between the bodyshaper and the corset. The body shaper is working with the outside of your body. It compresses the skin and fat, helping you lose inches through sweat and in theory, fat loss. However, the corset kinda works with the inside of your body. Yes, it is compressing your skin also but for the corset's effects to be permanent, you will need to wear it consistently (same as with the shaper) but the corset will gradually shift your internal bone structure (unlike the shaper). This is why corset training is thought of as a form of body modification. By doing this process, people are able to achieve the tiniest waists, some as small as 13 inches.

Now, we have reached the point where I feel it is necessary to put in a disclaimer. I am not a medical professional and I do not have any medical training. I did my research on the internet and I have started the waist training process. I implore you to do your own research and talk to anyone that you need to talk to about this before trying it.



So, now that that's over. When you feel that you have appropriately tightened the corset, you will have two super long loops, one on each side. You now need to tie these laces (do not knot them because it may be difficult to loosen later). The bow will be in the middle of the corset. You may still have long laces hanging down. If so, you will need to tuck these laces down into your pants or find some way to hide the dangling laces under your clothing. Remember to re-tuck the laces when you go to the bathroom, otherwise, you may find that you have strings hanging down your back and this may be a little embarrassing. Also, make sure that you move the laces out of the way before you actually use the bathroom...I think you understand why.

To remove the corset, you simply need to untie the laces and start pulling on the individual laces in both the top and bottom sections to loosen them. You will need to do this several times until the corset is sufficiently loosened, then you basically slide the corset over your head. Also, there is a little knot in the corset at the very bottom of the laces. This knot holds the lace in the corset. DO NOT loosen this knot. By using the process that I am describing, it is possible to put on and remove the corset without taking out the laces or removing the knot. If you do remove this knot, you will have to figure out how to re-lace the corset bunny ears/rabbit ears style (see video link above for help).

This post is entitled "waist training: week 1" and this is because I have only just begun my waist training journey. I have had my corset for awhile and I learned the ins and outs of putting it on and removing it (I still stumble a bit) before starting to wear the corset everyday. Once I felt confident that I could put it on and remove it in a matter of minutes, I started to wear it consistently for a week (and this is that week). I usually have very limited time in the morning and I hate the idea of having to spend a lot of time fussing with a corset. I am usually pretty late for everything. It is a problem and I am working on it.

Anyway, I started with a 30 inch waist (that isn't too bad) and when buying a training corset it is recommended that you buy a corset that 4-6 inches smaller that your natural waist (don't go any smaller than 6 inches). So, I have a 24 inches corset. The goal is to get my waist down to 24 inches. The reason that I am able to wear a 24 inch corset is because during lacing, the corset cannot completely close in the back (because my waist is 30 inches). There are several inches of the back panel exposed and the laces are spread apart by several inches. When my waist makes it to 24 inches, none of the back panel will be exposed and the two sides of the corset will touch (like in the picture below).
 
When this happens (I will be happy) and it will be time to buy a smaller corset (if I choose to go smaller). I actually don't think that I want to go any smaller than 24 inches because I have a larger frame and I want to look sexy and proportional. Some people chose to go very small with their waist and I think that it is a matter of preference.

So far, the waist training has been going well. I have been relatively comfortable. I do not wear the corset 23 hours a day but I do wear it for at least 12 hours per day. I plan to eventually increase this number but I do not think that I will every sleep in the corset. A good thing about waist training is that it compresses your stomach (the actual organ) so you get fuller quicker and eat less. I also noticed that you may notice a difference in your breathing. If you take deep breaths your rib cage naturally expands but the top of the corset is on the bottom of your rib cage and so you may feel a bit constricted. Yes, wearing the corset does smush some of your organs...so do your research before trying this.

I have found it somewhat difficult to hide the corset under clothing but maybe I will get better at this, as time goes on. I have noticed that if I wear a somewhat for fitting top, the lines from the bones are visible in the front and also the top of the corset pokes out a bit in the back. I have been hiding it under sweaters and suit jackets or blazers but I am not sure what I am going to do in the summer time. I guess that we will have to see. I still plan to wear it. I just have to be creative. Also, note that this is another difference between the corset and the bodyshaper because the particular bodyshaper that I wore was seamless under clothing.

Also, I kinda got a bit of a rash after wearing the corset for 2 days straight but let me explain why. When wearing a corset, you are supposed to wear corset liners, which you can substitute for a cotton camisole.  Cotton is used because it is a natural fabric that breathes because wearing the corset will make you hot. The corset liner absorbs the sweat but also allows the skin to breath, while you are wearing the corset. The corset liner or camisole basically protects your skin but it also protects the corset from absorbing your natural body oils and sweat, which can break down the fabric of the corset over time. So, how did I get a rash? Well, I had the genius of idea of combining my body shaper with the corset. Instead of wearing a liner, I would put on the body shaper and then top it with the corset. I thought that this would be the best of both worlds (and maybe it is) but it didn't work for me. The body shaper has lycra and all types of rubber in it and topping that with the corset pretty much just suffocated my skin. By the end of the day (on the 2nd day of this) the skin on my back and tummy was burning and once I removed the corset and body shaper, the irritated skin turned into welts and was so sore and nasty looking. I couldn't even lay on the bed without being in pain. Luckily, I showered (carefully) and applied hydrocortisone cream which greatly improved the situation by the next morning. I still had the itchiness and the skin was dry and peeling but it was no longer raised and I continued to apply the cream everyday (2x a day). needless to say, I stopped doubling up and I have retired my bodyshaper. I now wear my corset and a camisole everyday. I do not own actual corset liners (pictured below). I just wear a plain cotton camisole. The camisole has been working but there may be some benefits to an actual liner. I don't know. Whatever you wear should be primarily cotton and it should also have some spandex or lycra (a small percentage) so that it shrinks with you waist instead or wrinkling (or buy smaller camisoles). As I mentioned before, you do not want to have wrinkled material laced tightly against your skin as this may cause irritation.

My plan is to keep posting updates of my progress so that you know how this waist training process really works. Let's see if I can get down to that 24 inches. Lastly, I want to discuss the difference between having a smaller waist and flatter abs. When discussing a smaller waist, I am referring to the circumference of your waist (the inches around). Having flatter abs will probably give you a smaller waist. As you lose fat on your abs, your waist will become smaller. However, it is possible to have flat abs (or relatively flat abs) but still be wide in the waist. Everyone is not a natural hourglass. Waist training will help reduce the circumference of you waist (make it less wide) but it will not flatten your abs. Flattening your abs has to do with eating habits, exercise and losing inches of fat underneath your skin. Reducing the circumference of your waist through waist training will shift bones and organs internally and does not reduce the fat on your body. So, it is possible to make your waist smaller in circumference without flattening your abs. You will have more of an hourglass shape but you will still have fat on your abs. Also, I am assuming that at some point, the fat will limit how how you can reduce the circumference of your waist. I just want everyone to be clear that waist training is not a substitute for flattening your abs through good eating habits and exercise. As I just said, everyone is not a natural hourglass and some people will flatten their abs but they will not be able to achieve that womanly silhouette. While others are able to achieve an hourglass without having flat abs. So, hopefully this makes sense. I personally want flatter abs and a smaller waist but who really doesn't. As my waist reduces, I don't think that it will be possible to determine if the reduction is due to waist training or my strenuous exercise routine...personally, I do not care what causes it. I still have fat on my abs and I am on a seemingly never ending mission to lose it.

Lastly lastly, I did promise you some links for more information on waist training (keep in mind that I have no idea about the accuracy of the information contained on these sites). There are both pros and cons to waist training. There are some health benefits and also apparently some risks. So whatever you decide, just make sure that you are informed. Until my next post...

http://www.glamourboutique.com/waisttrainingwithcorsets.aspx
http://www.ehow.com/about_6670589_corsets-waist-training.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/360074-waist-cincher-training/
http://corsetreturn.topcities.com/harmful.htm
http://www.thelingerieaddict.com/2012/05/tightlacing-101-4-myths-about-waist-training-with-a-corset.html
http://healthmad.com/beauty/dangers-associated-with-waist-training/
http://weheartvintage.co/2012/07/16/how-did-1950s-models-get-such-tiny-waists-the-low-down-on-waist-training/
http://weheartvintage.co/2012/12/05/waist-training-a-visual-history-of-corsetry/
http://waistcorsetgirl.hubpages.com/hub/Corset-Training
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tightlacing

36 comments:

  1. I feel you should know that you're supposed to break in the corset first! (Wearing it only about 2 hours a day for about 2 weeks or you can do damage to the corset.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I was very encouraged to locate this website. The reason currently being that this is these kinds of an useful post. I wished to thank you for this useful read of the topic.
    Steel Boned Corset
    Steel Boned Corsets
    Waist Training Corset

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a terrible rash on both sides of my back from one of my waist trainers I'm hoping trying the hydrocortisone cream will help me. It's super painful I can't even lay down. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would recommend this trick to have the figure you've always wanted.. Your best choice body shaper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does it mean when your waist trainer rolls up or down in the back? And my back really hurts when it does that. Help!!!!

      Delete
    2. What does it mean when your waist trainer rolls up or down in the back? And my back really hurts when it does that. Help!!!!

      Delete
  5. I would recommend this trick to have the figure you've always wanted.. Your best choice body shaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would recommend body shaper where there are good products if you want to get a great body

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply want to tell you that I am new to blogging and absolutely loved you're blog. Almost certainly I’m want to bookmark your blog. You surely come with exceptional articles. Thanks a lot for revealing your blog.
    Best waist trainers


    ReplyDelete
  8. With spring just upon us, it is about time that people started shedding that extra weight that they got in the winter. I know that is what I have been doing nowadays. I haven't heard of waist training before, but it seems to be a new trend that people are doing. I would like to see the results of this and see if people like their results. http://diet.waistandtea.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi All
    Corsetsqueen.com manufacture latest design corsets with best quality fabric. we offer buy 1 get 1 free offer, corsets start only $24.99.
    corsets available in:-
    more info visit:- http://www.corsetsqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The clearness in your post is simply excellent with images.After reading your blog post,I will use this tricks for Body Shapers.I think this is the best choice for us.Thanks for sharing this valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like this blog . I really wanted to know more about the waist cincher and after reading this blog I feel very updated. Nice blog !!!

    Regards
    Brian kiriba

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corset you can get an aesthetically pleasing body shape and your posture becomes pretty amazing.
    Cheap Corsets UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wearing a natural fiber corset liner is very important to protect your skin. I recently found one made of bamboo on amazon and it is absolutely amazing! It is not as cheap as the tank tops we are used to using but the price is not bad at all. If anyone is interested in trying it out. Below is the link! Happy waist training!

    https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Waist-Liner-undergarment-corset/dp/B01M66JAJG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477792727&sr=8-3&keywords=waist+liner

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Waist-Liner-undergarment-corset/dp/B01M66JAJG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477792727&sr=8-3&keywords=waist+liner

    ReplyDelete
  16. https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Waist-Liner-undergarment-corset/dp/B01M66JAJG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477792727&sr=8-3&keywords=waist+liner

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wearing a natural fiber corset liner is very important to protect your skin. I recently found one made of bamboo on amazon and it is absolutely amazing! It is not as cheap as the tank tops we are used to using but the price is not bad at all. If anyone is interested in trying it out. Below is the link! Happy waist training!

    https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Waist-Liner-undergarment-corset/dp/B01M66JAJG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477792727&sr=8-3&keywords=waist+liner

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whether somebody pursuit of his vital thing, hence he or she desires to be accessible that at length, hence that thing is maintained over here.
    http://waist-trainer.org/ann-chery-corsets-review

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy To Visit Your Blog. Thanks For The amazing Post. Also Lookout the New Corset at Herdailydeal.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This article your very interesting.
    Thank you for giving me more information.
    see this

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is great for women. Can I purchase this? I purchased this product very soon.Can this product help me to solve some different problem to my waist? I think anyone can say, this article is the more informative and knowledgeable about workouts. I'm very excited about workouts. Day by day I am facing different kinds of problem to my fitness. In this situation, this article is more important for me. Some info here: http://latexwaistcincher.my-free.website/

    ReplyDelete
  23. How long does it take to see results after use a waist trainer ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is worthwhile reading this blog. I was searching such kind of blog for a long time but now I think I got a blog of my interest. I am thankful for these all suggestions mentioned under this blog.Waist trainer results

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of the best information website about waist training and great blog. Where to buy plus size women waist trainer garment?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you sharing your waist trainer result after 7 days? What's waist trainer website can you suggest? http://choosewaisttrainer.com/men-waist-trainer/

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you very much for this one. And I hope this will be useful for many people.. and I am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things.
    will help you more:
    Feel strong and sexy in our high-quality collection of waist trainers and shapewear. Over 100000+ satisfied customers.
    shop waist trainer

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for all the information about waist training, this is very helpful to people new to waist training. I have just started using this waist trainer and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete